Chronicle of an unemployed guy

I intend to chronicle my efforts in finding a job. Thanks for following and for your support.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Now what

I am still in waiting mode for the Shelter Insurance agency position I interviewed for two weeks ago.

There were three of us in being interviewed for this position and each of us had 3-hour interview sessions. We were all there at the same time, three different interviewers and then we switched every hour. It was very uncomfortable because I know the other two candidates. Makes it tough knowing you are fighting for a job against friends.

I was informed last week that one of the other candidates was not "qualified" which I don't understand. But, it is not mine to question. I was assured that I was still in the running.

The company policy states that there must be three "qualified" candidates before the position can be filled. That being said, the company needed to find an additional candidate. That candidate would have to go through the same process that the rest of us did, including a 3-hour interview with three company officials. The district manager assured me this process was going to be done as quickly as possible and I was hoping for an answer this week.

A new opportunity also opened up this week for a job I applied for last year with the American Cancer Society as a Community Representative. I did very well in my interview last year and it came down to me or a girl already working in the office. The girl had been employed with the ACS for about 10 years and they decided to give her a chance at the position.

This girl has decided to move to Chicago, so the position is open once again. I have applied and am hoping for another interview and a chance to be offered the opportunity, which I think I would really enjoy.

In the meantime, there may be an opportunity for me to go back into sales at a local car dealership. It's a tough business with very long hours and would mean that I probably would miss my kid's ballgames and golf outings.

It would be a job and it would be one I would handle differently from the first time I sold cars, back in pre-recession times. Very long hours, difficult to get people financed, straight commission sales.

What am I going to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment